3/16/09

The long journey that began with one step north


A journey of 2,500 miles, 8 days..arriving in Anchorage
Hiya beachgoers I wasn't iggying my PM's...I was writing this Time to stoke the fire and tell you a story The fire flickers in a dance that mesmerizes me and sends me off into deep thought about my adventures on an Island I lived on...Dutch Harbor Alaska right after high school, many of my friends were going off to college or the military..I didn't want any part of either. So after careful thought...I decided to go to Alaska...everyone thought that was crazy idea but I didn't...I had hitch~hiked all over the Western coast for a few years..off and on during the summers.

One morning I actually left Spokane at 4 am...got to Seattle by 1 PM...partied with friends til around 8PM...I had them drop me off in North Bend which is the start of the Cascade pass in Wa. I was in my warm bed at home by 5 AM the next day. Me and a few friends hitch~hiked down to the Redwoods in California a few times as well..long before I turned 18...So I was used to going afar by any means necessary..My Friend took me me about 20 miles east to Coeur d Alene ID and left me at on on ramp to N. route 95 which I took up into Canada. Bare in mind that it was fairly early in summer to be heading north into Canada...but I was prepared completely...with all subthermal gear, survival kit etc. I had hunted and hiked for days in some of the wildest country in the nation...so Canada was kind of a scary thought. The last late fall prior...I had hitch to Pheonix and back (A whole other story I'd like to write about...some of my Seattle runs as well.)

Anyway..it was on...I had thought about turning back several times on my way....stayed with some wonderful Canadian families that were very hospitable...It got pretty cold some nights so staying the night at Canadian strangers turned out to be interesting etc..it was part of the whole journey, the experience...Banff was cool! I spent 2 days up there. Stayed in a lodge in Jasper which was pretty darn cool ( A whole other story) Finally after 8 days I ended up in Anchorage AK..where I rented a room for a week. I ended up flying back to Anchorage from Dutch Harbor quite a few times in the next three years..mostly partied at the local haunts...Gussy La mours or how ever that really was spelled...had nickel 8 oz. mason jars of beer...that's right 20 for a buck! Those were a few wild nights (another book all together) They also had a bar called the monkey wharf which had actual live monkies...and when the music started they would go ape ****e Wild I tell ya...

I answered an add to go 800 miles out in the Aluetian island chain to a little place called Dutch Harbor it was right across the bridge from Unalaska (another story). So I threw on my back pack and flew out to Dutch harbor where I was greeted with an unbelievable air strip...once we landed there was a plane on the side of the runway...smashed and burned and on it said...welcome to fantasy island...So I got a job in this cannery...working for a seafood company...butchering king - snow crab etc...worked around 16 hours a day 7 days a week for 32 days straight once up there! I was a walking zombie...So I got an offer to go on a boat as a fisherman..so I took it..the next three years I spent on the Bering Sea fishing for everything from cod to halibut to crab...made good money but I felt my luck might run out if I stayed on that hellish ocean much longer. The last day...rounding the tip of the harbor into dutch harbor..I had cleaned up and put on my best...eager to get back on dry land and yes..party as well. A pretty good sized wave came over and almost took me overboard, I stood up all wet...flip off the Sea and said "see...you didn't get me after all" The crew thought it was hilarious....So my days up in Alaska were over ..all I have left is the fond memories of the journey to there and back...I'll go back someday....not hitch hiking though... The Bering sea is calling me I think I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you're into the total extreme! Through time I will add more detail of everything I did and saw...my three and a half years in paradise


Copyright ><"> 2009

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast (except for the 16 hour work days)! I have a good friend who lives up in Kodiak. She moved up there right after high school (late 70s). I've always wanted to go up for a visit but have never had the chance to (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Kimber...it would be worth a trip to go up there...just go up in the summer..and it was a blast and quite the adventure..I'll go back someday

    ><">

    ReplyDelete

CURRENT MOON
Custom Search